Assistant Controller, Insurance
BUILD AND DRIVE ACCOUNTING OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE
Why you should join our Finance team:
At-Bay’s Finance team is responsible for the complete and accurate financial reporting for a fast paced and growing company. You’ll be joining a team of accomplished professionals that love to learn and share knowledge. It’s a team that focuses more on building processes from the ground up and tackling bottlenecks through process improvement, rather than building a culture of overtime and burn out.
Our ideal candidate enjoys building processes and teams that go on to do amazing work! You’ll be surrounded by a team that loves what they do and recognizes the enormous responsibility that they have – to establish the financial infrastructure that helps us scale!
As our Assistant Controller, you’ll be a hands-on leader to a team of three. In this role you’ll report into our VP, Controller.
The day-to-day consists of management of monthly close accounting activities, ensuring the completeness and accuracy of our financial transactions in the general ledger. You’ll be empowered to create an environment of cross-functional collaboration and strong internal controls that better support our financial reporting process. Success in this role will include a demonstrated knowledge in insurance statutory accounting principles, strong execution of competing priorities and ad hoc projects, and an energetic focus on team culture and professional development.
How you’ll make an impact:
By 3 months:
- You’ll understand our business and have established relationships across our senior leadership.
- You’ll fully understand and own our month-end close process.
- You’ll identify areas of improvement in our monthly reporting process and accounting systems. You’ll empower and equip your team to drive change.
- You’ll assist in the preparation and filing of quarterly and/or annual NAIC/statutory financial statements and annual GAAP financial statements.
By 6 months:
- You’ll prepare and review internal management reports, including working with key internal stakeholders on variance analysis.
- You’ve established yourself as a coach to your team and they look to you for guidance.
- You’ll lead the coordination of the annual Stat and GAAP audits with external auditors.
- You’ve effectively managed outsourced third-party service providers and developed internal processes for outsourced services.
- You’ll continuously identify process improvements that increase efficiency and establish a stronger internal controls environment.
What you’ve already accomplished
- You’ve developed and delivered strong, structured, and scalable insurance accounting processes and strategy that aligns with the overall company goals.
- You’ve led teams of 3+ people and helped them grow their careers.
- You’ve managed third-party service providers offering outsourced accounting and tax services.
- You’ve owned and developed the month-end close process in accordance with GAAP and statutory accounting principles.