Chief Financial Officer
High Definition Vehicle Insurance
Accounting & Finance
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
What we do
HDVI is modern insurance for today’s fleets driven by service, safety and savings. With real-time telematics data informing our risk models, we help lower premiums, mitigate risk, engage and reward drivers and simply put, offer uncomplicated protection for trucking fleets. Our customers are small to midsize truck fleet operators who benefit from dynamic and transparent pricing – automatically reducing their premiums for safer driving. Leveraging a best-in-class partner ecosystem, HDVI combines magnitude and stability with innovation to revolutionize commercial trucking insurance.
Why work here
HDVI is building the industry-defining commercial auto insurance company for the next 100 years. The $50 billion commercial auto industry hasn’t seen real innovation for decades and is broken in a number of ways, creating a significant opportunity for HDVI.
HDVI is co-founded by a former Esurance co-founder, and has a senior management team with experience building innovative insurance and logistics companies from zero to $1B+ enterprises and deep expertise in trucking insurance. HDVI is well-funded by leading logistics and mobility-focused venture capital firms and strategic investors, including 8VC, Munich Re, and Daimler Trucks.
The HDVI Team is values-driven, data-driven, ambitious, and collaboratively minded, with a diverse background of experiences and skills in the insurance and logistics industries. We like challenges and building solutions that improve the quality of life for our customers. We offer generous benefits, including employee stock options, health, dental, vision, 401k, flexible work environment, and unlimited PTO.
About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will lead all our financial planning processes, accounting operations, investment decision analyses, and development of business insights. You will have the opportunity to not only influence the forward-looking vision of the business but also help responsibly and intentionally grow the business through advanced financial modeling and the development of business cases for strategic growth opportunities. The ideal candidate is a strong leader experienced with insurance businesses, FP&A, and financial operations and is passionate about innovation, company-building, and fostering strong business partner relationships with leadership teams. In this highly collaborative role, you will develop close relationships across teams (Underwriting, Insurance Product, Product/Engineering, Business Operations, Corporate Support, etc.) in helping to guide business strategy/initiatives.
What You'll Do
- Lead and assist in the growth of the existing accounting and finance team, including the mentorship and professional development of the current team members
- Assist the Director of Finance in managing internal resources and an outside accounting firm for controller-related activities, including AR & AP oversight and the creation of monthly, quarterly, and yearly P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statements.
- Responsible for FP&A for the company, including monthly budget to actual variance analysis, ownership of the company’s Operating Model, and monitoring of key financial metrics
- Lead all financial planning for the company, including the development of the yearly Board of Directors approved financial plan
- Develop and continuously improve the financial strategy for the company. This includes financial and capital management and insurance risk capital strategy
- Prepare recurring internal and external stakeholder financial reporting packages (for example, Board of Directors materials) that provide senior leadership insights regarding financial issues affecting profitability, operations, and growth
- Communicate financial information and performance to stakeholders, including the board of directors, investors, and creditors
- Support and work closely with founders in investor relations and fundraising efforts
- Develop an internal ROI framework to be used to analyze business and technology investments, including proprietary and non-proprietary technology development
- Leverage new and existing technology and systems to streamline and automate financial reporting and other financial processes
- Utilize data & analytics, FP&A, and industry trends to provide the executive team with strategic insights into the development of the organization's financial and operational objectives
- Oversee the tax return planning process with our third party accounting firm
- Manage treasury for the organization including cash forecasting, working capital planning and investment oversight
- Oversee the annual financial audit
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to initiate and provide ad hoc business-related analysis
What You Have
- Bachelor's degree in Finance required, with Master's in Finance or MBA preferred
- 10+ years of finance experience in the insurance industry. MGA experience preferred
- Knowledge of GAAP reporting for insurance MGAs and captives
- Statutory accounting knowledge for insurance companies a plus
- Investor relations and fundraising within a private-markets-led company is highly preferred
- Experience working cross-functionally to collaboratively develop budgets/plans and promote financial discipline
- Experience leading, developing, and growing a small team
- Strong knowledge of financial planning processes and business systems. Deep understanding of financial modeling and key metrics used in the insurance industry
- Ability to translate complex business operating models and operational indicators into financial performance
- Competitive salary & stock options
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- 401k with company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible office policy
If you are interested in this position, please contact our Senior People Operations Specialist, Morgan Harrison. You can reach him at Morgan@hdvi.com.