VP of Business Development
High Definition Vehicle Insurance
Sales & Business Development
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2023
What we do
HDVI is modern insurance for today’s fleets driven by service, safety and savings. With real-time telematics data informing our risk models, we help lower premiums, mitigate risk, engage and reward drivers and simply put, offer uncomplicated protection for trucking fleets. Our customers are small to midsize truck fleet operators who benefit from dynamic and transparent pricing – automatically reducing their premiums for safer driving. Leveraging a best-in-class partner ecosystem, HDVI combines magnitude and stability with innovation to revolutionize commercial trucking insurance.
Why work here
HDVI is building the industry-defining commercial auto insurance company for the next 100 years. The $50 billion commercial auto industry hasn’t seen real innovation for decades and is broken in a number of ways, creating a significant opportunity for HDVI.
HDVI is co-founded by a former Esurance co-founder, and has a senior management team with experience building innovative insurance and logistics companies from zero to $1B+ enterprises and deep expertise in trucking insurance. HDVI is well-funded by leading logistics and mobility-focused venture capital firms and strategic investors, including 8VC, Munich Re, and Daimler Trucks.
The HDVI Team is values-driven, data-driven, ambitious, and collaboratively minded, with a diverse background of experiences and skills in the insurance and logistics industries. We like challenges and building solutions that improve the quality of life for our customers. We offer generous benefits, including employee stock options, health, dental, vision, 401k, flexible work environment, and unlimited PTO.
About the Role
As the Vice President of Business Development at HDVI, you will be pivotal in driving our profitable growth strategy. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will lead a dynamic business development team and forge strong partnerships with our underwriting team and agency partners. Your key duties will encompass recruitment, training, and collaboration with both new and existing agency partners to foster submission growth and production. You will be the driving force behind our nationwide expansion efforts, ensuring that HDVI remains at the forefront of the industry. We seek a candidate ready to lead, inspire, and contribute to HDVI's continued success in the market.
What You'll Do
- Lead and manage a team of driven business development and sales ops professionals
- Be responsible for agency management strategy to drive submission growth and production
- Build relationships with agency partners and strategically add to the HDVI agency portfolio
- Work closely with underwriting to understand the nuances of our products and appetite in order to communicate about our products to the market
- Work closely with marketing and sales ops to support agency onboarding & ongoing engagement
- Collaborate with the software product development team to identify and suggest tools and technologies that streamline and enhance the agency's interactions with HDVI
- Travel to agencies, networking events, and sales conferences up to 40% of the time
What You Have
- 10 years of experience working in commercial P&C insurance distribution, experience at a carrier or wholesaler preferred & transportation preferred
- Direct management experience overseeing a team of sales professionals
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Business Management, or equivalent in a related field with transferable skills to the insurance industry
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the company, including to the senior leadership team
- Comfort working in a high-growth and fast-paced startup environment
- Competitive salary & stock options
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- 401k with company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible office policy
If you are interested in this position, please contact our Senior People Operations Specialist, Morgan Harrison. You can reach him at Morgan@hdvi.com.