Distributed Systems Software Engineer INSHUR (UK)
Are you keen to work somewhere that’s stimulating and friendly, with loads of opportunities for growth and plenty of freedom to make a real impact? This could be the place for you!
We are looking for a Distributed Systems Software Engineer to join us at INSHUR; we are based in sunny Brighton (sea, chips and seagulls included) and we split our work between home and the office (hybrid working) which typically includes working from our Brighton office at least once a Month.
You’ll be working on re-inventing insurance in exciting markets across multiple territories including the UK, US, Netherlands, and new European countries as we expand.
Supported by (and reporting to) a Principal Engineer you'll be joining a friendly team of 30 + who believe in who believe in shipping working code to production as often as possible
What you'll do
As a Distributed Systems Software Engineer, you will be responsible for our distributed systems, built using a mixture of languages and help to architect, improve, monitor and debug those systems. We currently use Java 21, Golang, Kotlin, Typescript and Python to deliver many services into our GCP-hosted Kubernetes cluster, as well as embracing cloud-native with serverless, but aren’t afraid to try new technologies or solutions as the architecture dictates.
We don’t have a definite checklist of skills - our hiring process is much more about aptitude and passion than ticking boxes. So don’t worry if you’ve not used a particular tool or checked off all the listed skills and experience.
That said, below is a guideline of skills that we think would make you successful in this role.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Exhibit experience delivering working code into production environments. (We use Java, but proficiency in other languages is not only admissible but welcome!)
- Have strong and proven experience with distributed systems and event-driven architectures (ideally 5-10 years or multiple project examples).
- Possess real-world experience with messaging frameworks such as Pubsub, Kafka, or MQ.
- Have experience with NoSQL and Eventually Consistent storage mediums, e.g., MongoDB, Cassandra, ElasticSearch.
- Write appropriate integration and end-to-end tests in a BDD style.
- Have knowledge of working with containers, ideally within Kubernetes.
- Able to solve solutions without containers: FAAS, SaaS solutions.
- Can articulate the benefits of and execute delivery into a cloud computing environment. We use GCP, but any of the big three (Google Cloud, AWS, AZURE) will suffice.
- Have had exposure to Domain-Driven Design.
Your colleagues say you:
- Take responsibility for code and engineering quality, recognizing the collective importance.
- Are open to sharing differing perspectives, confidently explaining their rationale, and are willing to reach a consensus after discussion.
- Are a thought leader in distributed systems development
How we work:
- Work as part of an agile team. We don’t follow any strict methodology: teams do what works for them. We currently use tools such as:
- Event Storming
- Example Mapping
- Event Modeling
- A place to strive and grow, where you will have the opportunity to work on interesting, yet challenging projects.
- Applying your thinking to build a better world founded on intelligent technologies alongside highly skilled and like-minded individuals.
- Be supported in your personal and technological development by a team of like-minded individuals
- Be able to move from idea to execution in a short period of time.
- Given space to mentor and improve less experienced members of the team.
What we offer
Our budget for this role is £70,000 to £105,000 and we will take into account any previous experience and location of work when agreeing on the final offer.
We offer all our employees stock options and we will pay into your pension monthly. We've also built a benefits package that invests in our people’s long-term personal and professional growth and wellbeing. Here’s a sample of what this includes:
- 30 days of holiday annually in addition to bank holidays
- Private healthcare scheme for you and your family
- Life Insurance
- Up to 13 weeks of parental leave at full pay, regardless of your gender
- Flexible working hours
- Annual personal training allowance and regular learning opportunities
- Monthly flexible wellbeing allowance to help you stay healthy and productive
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
It goes without saying that we provide everyone with a laptop, monitor, top of the range kit, and any software you need.
INSHUR is the fastest-growing global provider of insurance for the on-demand economy, making coverage fair and accessible for drivers.
Cutting edge technology underpins our revolutionary offering for on demand drivers, keeping premiums affordable and delivering results for partners. With a focus on embedded insurance solutions, and complementary technology integrations for digital platform providers such as Uber and Amazon, we’ve been helping drivers stay on the road since 2016 through our data, technology and in-house expertise.
We completed our B1 funding as well as the acquisition of American Business Insurance in 2023. We have exciting plans to continue growing our portfolio and product lines and expand to new territories in the future.
As a global team of around 200 people based across the US, UK and the Netherlands, we value:
- Generosity, inclusivity, open-mindedness and diversity
- The delivery of great results and learning in the open
- Freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions
- The wellbeing of our teammates and the people around us
And… Enjoying the ride!
We believe that having a diverse team where everyone can be their authentic self is the key to our success. We are passionate about equal opportunities and improving the tech industry for the better, so we encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our offices, when open, are child-friendly, dog-friendly and fully wheelchair-accessible.
While this position is advertised as full-time, we are flexible on the specific arrangements for the right candidate and would be happy to discuss part-time, job-share or other flexible arrangements, if required. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements for your interview and we will do our best to accommodate.