Orbit Fab's mission is to create the foundational infrastructure that will fuel a bustling in-space economy, capable of sustaining permanent jobs in space.
Today, satellites cannot be refueled, which severely constrains their mobility and inhibits the development of economic activities in space.
Orbit Fab breaks the single-use paradigm, pioneering our Gas Stations in Space™ refueling infrastructure and RAFTI™ technology to deliver propellant in space, enabling lower-cost satellite construction, increased maneuverability, precise control, and extended lifespans. The possibilities are unprecedented, opening the doors to unimagined operational strategies and business models.
Since our establishment in 2018, we have already achieved the successful launch of three tankers to space. With offices in both the US and UK, we are working in close collaboration with partners and customers across the space industry. Orbit Fab is rapidly ramping up capabilities and requires exceptional talent to tackle important challenges. Our roles offer wide ranging opportunities to have a demonstrable impact and enable a bustling in space economy.
We describe here the skills, qualifications, and responsibilities that we need to have as a team. You don't need all of them. Your aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/building/coding stuff will trump specific qualifications or tools any day!
Position Purpose: As a Test Engineer, you will support the Test team in design, analysis, testing and prototyping of flight hardware for spacecraft and/or mechanisms. Working within the test engineering group, you’ll be tasked with identifying issues, non-conformances to requirements, investigating design problems, providing justification of decision making and bringing a sound technical approach. This position will allow you to work independently and exercise your judgment, as well as be part of a cross-specialty team to solve the engineering problems that accompany hardware in space.
- Author, manage and maintain test documentation and hardware for precision assemblies
- Take ownership and maintain documentation for complex, high-reliability assemblies
- Interpret system diagrams and requirements for test definition
- Plan, design, execute and perform preventive maintenance for required Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and Data Acquisition (DAQ) systems
- Identify, document, troubleshoot electrical and mechanical issues in the assembly, integration and test cycle
- Perform standard operating procedures, execute tests and document test results, including functional testing, life tests, shock, vibration, TVAC/Thermal, and launch integration
- Design and develop automated scripts and supporting test equipment for streamlined test and production
- Characterize test data to formulate general failure modes and categorization of pass/fail criteria
- Work with engineers to troubleshoot and solve technical issues
- Be willing to cross train in multiple areas of specialty
- Provide input for continuous process improvement, develop more refined ways of manufacturing, assembly, integration and test of assembly parts and components
- Utilize test equipment (ie. LabView based Data Acquisition systems. Digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- 4+ years working in an engineering field and/or precision mechanical assembly environment
- Ability to read, interpret, execute test instructions with respect to requirements and translate
- Understanding and ability to formulate test plans and perform requirements traceability
- Experience testing space-qualified hardware through qualification and acceptance test environments, including operation of TVAC and thermal chambers
- Possess strong problem solving and communication abilities
- Familiarity with small tools used for hand-held assembly
- Must have standard test equipment experience in design and troubleshooting applications
- Collaborative and team focused
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, strategic, and statistical skills
- An effective sense of urgency and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, small company environment
Nice to haves
- Systems test background and experience with SMC-S-016 and AFSPCMAN standards
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-83513, MIL-STD-38999 standards
- Experience with LabView and MATLAB
- Experience with Onshape CAD or Altium Designer software
- Expertise working spacecraft or launch vehicle operations
The estimated salary range for this position is $90,000-140,000
If you feel you would succeed in the role above, we encourage you to apply regardless of whether or not you meet all of the requirements listed.
Location and Benefits
Orbit Fab is based out of Lafayette, Colorado and all roles are based in Colorado. We offer fully covered benefits, discretionary time off and flexible work hours.
Some job roles may be limited to US Persons (22 CFR 120.62 “U.S. person”).
Orbit Fab Inc does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.