Accounting & Finance, Sales & Business Development
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Title: Accounting Manager
Hours: Full-time; Salaried
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Manager: Chief of Staff, CFO
Mission – Why we exist and why we need you
Geothermal energy is the most abundant renewable energy source in the world. There is 2,300 times more energy in geothermal heat in the ground than in oil, gas, coal, and methane combined. However, historically it’s been hard to find and expensive to develop. At Zanskar, we’re using better technology to find and develop new geothermal resources in order to make geothermal a cheap and vital contributor to a carbon-free electrical grid.
We have grown in size and complexity so that our accounting work cannot be handled by internal non-accounting administrators or outside consultants. We need an experienced accountant to join our team to refine our systems so they comply with federal grant accounting standards as well as handle the ongoing operational accounting work for a growing startup with increasingly complex contracts and CAPEX spend.
Outcomes - Problems you’ll solve
In their first six months, the Accounting Manager will work with the Chief of Staff and accounting consultants to set up our accounting systems to be federal grant compliant, establish better internal controls, and streamline our accounting systems for better operations. In addition, this role will execute ongoing accounting activities:
- Prepare journal entries
- Reconcile all accounts (balance sheet and P&L)
- Update all schedules (prepaids, accruals, assets, land positions, etc.)
- Monitor syncing of integrated finance software systems
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting packages
- Manage/record monthly accruals including payroll accruals
- Review, analyze, and re-class P&L activity as needed to ensure proper income statement presentation
- Support the year-end audit and filing of tax returns
- Manage accounts receivable and accounts payable
Competencies – What we’re looking for
- Accounting experience: At least 4-6 years of accounting experience with strong understanding of GAAP principles with operational experience. Preference for CPA in relevant industry – project accounting, geothermal, renewables, real estate, federal grants, or oil and gas.
- System builder: Our systems have worked for our first set of growth but will need to be improved and re-designed with better processes to handle our growth into our next stage of contracts and transactions.
- Self-directed: You will be working relatively independently with a need to manage external stakeholders and your managers. While you will receive guidance and consulting advice, the actual accounting recommendations and execution will fall largely on your plate.
Location, Salary, and Benefits
- The position is located in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area
- Full time position
- Paid holidays, and 15 days PTO
- Medical and dental coverage
- A direct impact in displacing carbon emissions, and growth opportunities in a growing startup environment
Equal Opportunity Employer
Zanskar is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practice laws.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.