Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Title: Field Technician
Type: Contractor, 14 days on, 14 days off
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Manager: Director of Exploration / Geotechnician Lead
Pay per day rate: $250 - $300/per day + per diem
Mission – Why we exist and why we need you
Geothermal energy is a massive renewable energy resource sitting below our feet. By some estimates, there is ~2,000 times more beneficial energy contained in geothermal heat than in all of Earth’s oil, gas, coal, and methane combined. However, to date, it’s been hard to find the right places to use that energy affordably. Zanskar is a team composed of geoscientists, data scientists, seismologists, and developers focused on building new geothermal exploration and development tools to make geothermal a scaled contributor to a fully carbon-free electrical grid.
We need Field Technicians to work with our staff geoscientists in conducting geologic field evaluations of geothermal exploration projects using a variety of geology, geochemistry, and shallow-drilling methods. For example, think going to remote areas where a potential geothermal resource could be and performing several days worth of shallow drilling or geological tests under the supervision of staff geologists.
The Field Technician will help us realize our goal of building the largest and most robust geological dataset of potential geothermal resources in the Western US. Additionally, the Field Technician will help maintain equipment and equipment inventory to make sure we can maintain a high operational tempo with days in the field.
Qualifications – What we’re looking for
Trustworthy team player
- Work with minimum direct supervision in small teams in remote settings.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English at a level which will permit the employee to accurately understand and communicate information to safely and efficiently perform the job duties.
- Work under general supervision of staff geoscientists to accurately perform field evaluations.
- Is safety conscious for themselves and teammates
Science field training
- Some college-level training in geology, environmental science, forestry, field biology or a related field. The successful applicant should have some experience in scientific field methods and sampling.
- Know how to use a GPS and is comfortable navigating in remote settings
- Basic first aid (preferred)
- Possess a valid diverse license and have the ability to operate safely and pass a driver background check within acceptable limits.
- Safely operate 4WD lightweight vehicles on highways and off-road as well as safely operate mechanical equipment and power tools in the field.
- Have basic mechanic skills (e.g., not afraid to patch holes in flat tires).
- OSHA 10-hour training (preferred)
- CDL (bonus)
- Able to navigate and work in remote field locations and work outdoors in difficult weather conditions.
- The ability to periodically lift 50 lbs.
Location, Salary, and Benefits
- The position will mobilize at the beginning of a shift out of the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, but field work will extend through the western United States.
- Contractor position.
- Day rate is $250/day + per diem
- Schedule is 14 days on followed by 14 days off
Equal Opportunity Employer
Zanskar is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practice laws.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
See more open positions at zanskar.com
Something looks off?